To become an Artificial Intelligence Engineer, you must know the qualifications, skills, job roles, salary trends, and its future.
After we recently witnessed the wittiness of AI language at the Facebook headquarters, we know very well what AI is capable of, well at least Zukerberg does. Artificial Intelligence is slowly grasping the roots of the technological world, and with this there is a requirement of more AI Engineers everyday.
Becoming an AI Engineer is no rocket science and to guide you through this process, we have created this detailed blog with resources which will be very useful for your journey of becoming an AI Engineer.
Before beginning with this, let’s have a look about what Artificial Intelligence is.
Also read: Roadmap To Becoming A Developer In 2023 [Professional Guide]
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
“Some people call this artificial intelligence, but the reality is this technology will enhance us. So instead of artificial intelligence, I think we’ll augment our intelligence.” —Ginni Rometty
Artificial intelligence (AI) is the term used to describe programs or devices that imitate human intelligence in order to carry out tasks and can incrementally enhance themselves based on the data they gather. Few examples of AI are:
- Recommendation Engines
- Intelligent Assistance
Usually AI is mistaken as it will replace human intelligence, this is not true. The only motive of AI is to vastly improve human potential and contributions. It becomes a very profitable business investment as a result.
Who is an Artificial Intelligence Engineer?
In order to develop AI systems which are in accordance with human requirements for accomplishing mission objectives, AI engineering is based on the fundamentals of computer engineering, software development, computer programming, and human-centered design.
An AI engineer creates AI models utilizing convolutional neural networks and machine intelligence in order to derive business insights that can be utilized to make choices that will influence the entire establishment. Depending on the objectives they want to accomplish, these engineers also produce powerful or weak AIs.
AI engineers create a variety of AI applications, including translation software, visual identification or impression, and banner advertisements based on sentiment classification.
Why is everyone seeking to become an AI Engineer?
Among the most enticing sectors of the industry is AI engineering, and this is the ideal time to advance it. This is exemplified to perfection by LinkedIn’s yearly list of fresh job openings, which places the role of an artificial intelligence engineer at the top. Over the last four years, recruitment for this role has increased by 74% yearly.
Another illustration of the need for AI engineering can be found here. The Machine Learning Engineer ranked well on Indeed’s yearly ranking of the Top 25 Jobs, with a basic pay of $146,000 annually and a 344% rise in job postings over the previous few years. There are increasing opportunities for AI engineers in fields like innovation and technology, the automobile industry, higher education, and sporting activities.
Although there is a current supply shortage, it might alter within the next ten years as more companies will start programs of professional development for current employees, more courses will be offered at universities, and more job seekers will start their own self learning processes.
Also read: Artificial Intelligence In Banking - Opportunities And Risks
What are the roles of an AI Engineer?
The duties of an AI engineer involve solving problems by developing cutting-edge AI products. Since AI is currently being incorporated into mostly every industrial sector, the responsibilities and duties of the AI engineer have also increased to include things like:
- Software Designing: The skills of machine learning, model development, and verification are essential for AI engineers. They must assess each AI system to determine whether it can accomplish the task for which it was designed.
- Creation and deployment of AI algorithms: Adaptive production and smart AI algorithms combine to enable software integration. The duties of the AI engineer involve creating the code required for the machine to operate.
- Building data science infrastructure: Data analysis and data retrieval are the main uses of AI. Because of this, the duties of the AI engineer also include creating and overseeing the AI architecture.
- Data Analysis: To find flaws, AI engineers gather information and analyze it using machine learning techniques. The duties of an AI engineer involve making sure that the devices continue to provide consumers an operational advantage and are revised in line with scientific advances.
- Image Processing: Around the world, AI is used for surveillance and tracking. These machines are capable of observing their environment and responding to every situation within the bounds that their AI engineers have established. Therefore, among the duties of the AI engineer today is image processing.
Also read: What Is Machine Learning & Deep Learning?
How to become an Artificial Intelligence Engineer?
People are specializing in AI to boost their careers because it is a rapidly expanding industry with numerous career options.. The detailed instructions for how to become an AI engineer are provided here:
Qualifications required to become an AI Engineer:
- Get a High School Diploma: Obtaining a high school diploma with a concentration in a technical topic, such as physics, or mathematics, is the initial requirement to join the domain of artificial intelligence engineering. Additionally, you can include statistical data as one of your core academic subjects. You’ll have a firm base for your knowledge construction if you graduate from high school with a solid grounding in technical topics.
- Get a Bachelor’s Degree: After the completion of your high school, you can start looking for colleges which provide degrees in the field of engineering. A Bachelors in Computer Science of Software development is a must. After the completion of your bachelors you can start looking for a job as an AI engineer. However, having a masters degree would be more beneficial.
- Get a Master’s Degree: There are various degrees you can get for example Masters in Machine Learning, Masters in Computer Science etc. even though you can start looking for jobs right after your bachelors, having a masters is beneficial.
- Certifications: On the other hand, taking AI Courses or enrolling in diploma level programs will enable you to improve your skills at an affordable price. Through a range of platforms offering online training sessions, you can obtain online training and certification at your preferred pace.
Skills required to become an AI Engineer:
Once you gain theoretical knowledge and certifications you can start polishing your skills which are required for becoming an Artificial Engineer. There are various studies available online which tells about the required skills. According to the AI Employment Tax 2022, following are the necessary AI engineer skills:
- Data Science
- Data Engineering
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Natural Language Processing
A few technical skills which are very important:
- Programming Skills: Programming is the initial requirement needed to become an AI engineer. Learning programming languages like Python, Java, and C++ etc to create and run designs is essential for becoming well versed in AI.
- Algorithms and Frameworks: You can easily integrate models for machine learning if you comprehend how algorithms like KNN, Naive Bayes, Support Vector Machine and others operate. Besides that, you must comprehend algorithms for deep learning and apply them by using a framework in order to create Ai systems with unstructured information. Theano, TensorFlow, Caffe are a few AI frameworks.
- Spark and Big Data Technologies: AI engineers are involved with huge amounts of data, including terabyte- or petabyte-scale production systems that are streaming. To make sense of such information, these engineers must be familiar with Spark as well as other huge data technologies. In addition to Apache Spark, one can also employ Hadoop, Cassandra, and MongoDB, which are all huge data technologies.
- Probability, Statistics and Linear Algebra: You need a thorough understanding of linear algebra, probability, and statistics to comprehend and use various Ai systems, like Hidden Markov models, Gmm models, and linear discriminant analysis.
Also read: Big Data – A Revolution Or A Dud?
Apply for Jobs
At last, you have to start applying for jobs. There are various platforms such as Glassdoor, Indeed, Google for jobs, Careerbuilder, Monster and LinkedIn etc. You can also start applying for jobs in a more defined manner like:
- Narrow down the companies which are hiring for AI Engineers.
- Directly apply for the job on their website.
- Increase your network by inviting various professions to your LinkedIn profile or any other job portal. You can also find their email ids on their social profile or on the career pages of the companies and start sending your resumes. You can also attach a cover letter along with your resume.
- The way to get these email ids is very simple. If you have LinkedIn, you can search the company name there and once you open it, there will be a column of people who are employed there. You can directly connect with them through LinkedIn only or you can find their emails on their profiles.
Usually the recruiting team has their information mentioned there which can help you to reach them easily.
Job Titles and Salary Trends of an AI Engineer
There are various types of job titles which fall under the category of Artificial Intelligence. Some of them in-demand titles you can consider are given below:
- Machine Learning Engineer: You will be in charge of creating and putting into practice the algorithms which permit machines to learn from information as a machine learning engineer. Massive data sets, creating and evaluating machine learning models, and fine-tuning methodologies for quick execution are all included in this.
- Data Scientist: Data scientists evaluate complicated sets of data using their knowledge of statistics, mathematics, and computer engineering. They collaborate with businesses to gather information that will help them make better decisions.
- Artificial Intelligence Researcher: You are going to be in charge of looking into and creating fresh AI algorithms and apps as an AI researcher. Researching, writing reports, and displaying your research results at conferences all fall under this category.
- Software Engineers: The software that gives machines their functionality is created by software engineers. Algorithm development, code evaluating, and program bug fixing all fall under this category.
- Information Security Analyst: To safeguard computer systems and networks, information security analysts or cybersecurity analysts intend and put security measures into action. This entails investigating potential security threats, evaluating risks, and creating defenses.
- Network Engineer: Computer networks are designed and implemented by network engineers. This covers setting up networking hardware, creating network architectures, and resolving network issues.
- Hardware Engineer: Computer hardware devices are designed and manufactured under the supervision of hardware engineers. Computer chips, processing units, and memory units fall under this category.
AI Engineers are given prominent pay. The salary can vary from company to company. According to Glassdoor, the average salary of an AI engineer in the USA is $1,21,057 per annum.
Also read: The Importance Of Information Security For Your Business
Notable companies that hire AI Engineer
- Apple: The Cupertino-based tech industry is seeking candidates for positions of machine learning engineer under AI role.
- Facebook: The dominant social media company wants to enter the AI market and is searching for applicants with background in AI and machine learning.
- Google: Google, one of the tech industries driving AI development, is a major employer seeking talented individuals in this area. The organization is searching for applicants with a background in deep learning, natural language processing, and machine learning.
- Amazon: The titan of e-commerce is employing for positions in machine learning and AI in an effort to catch up to the AI culture.
Also read: How To Hire Data Scientists?
Future of Artificial Intelligence Engineers
The demand for AI Engineers is spreading like a wildfire. Sectors like healthcare, banking and finance are shifting towards AI, salaries will keep on increasing. Nowadays more and more big companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. are shifting towards AI which has brought AI engineers into demand.
In 2023, it is believed that Artificial Intelligence will be at an increased pace of development which means that the future is very bright for AI Engineers. Not only the private sector, the government sector is also shifting towards AI.
The AI of the future will not resemble the AI of today in any way. You continue to upgrade your AI skills which are meaningful to the demands of the market because it is evolving at an astounding rate. But try not to feel intimidated because, as in all aspects of life, taking the initial step is the most important in AI.
The ideal first step is to finish an AI Basics Course. Continue learning about advanced artificial intelligence and getting ready for interview questions.
Ans. There are various graduate and postgraduate degrees in engineering which will help you to become an AI Engineer. These include B.tech (Bachelor of technology) in Computer Science, B.Tech in Artificial Intelligence. B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering) in artificial science and M.tech (Master of Technology) in Computer science, B.E. in Artificial Intelligence.
Ans. To start your career you must have strong education and skills. AI engineers work very closely with algorithms related to Machine Learning and many other AI tools. So, you must have knowledge of software development and other programming skills. AI keeps developing, so you must take online courses periodically to keep up your knowledge.
Ans. AI Engineers are responsible for narrowing down the connection gap between machines and humans. Their various job roles are like Data Mining, Research, Design and Programming etc.
Ans. According to Glassdoor, the average salary of an AI Engineer in the USA is $121,257 per annum.